Saying Goodbye

17 September 2011






A couple of weeks ago I got a call from my mom that my grandma Edna had
fallen ill, and that if I wanted to see her I would have to leave right then. My lovely husband got me an airline ticket for that night, and I was able to see Grandma and say goodbye. I was so lucky to have such an amazing woman in my life, and she will be greatly missed! This is the letter that I wrote to her after her passing.

Grandma,
All through our childhood you were always asking us to write you letters, and now I am writing you for the last time.

It is so hard to let someone go that I loved so much. As I think back over the twenty eight years I got to have you in my life, I am mourning the end to new memories we will never get to share. However, I will always have the many great memories that you created for us throughout your lifetime. And thanks to your amazing ability to document, record and save those precious memories, my children and generations after will get to know you and share in those memories with us.

My childhood memories of us are mainly from our cabin. Even back then you were a great friend. You would gather the neighbors so we would have an audience for our plays and make the lemonade for our lemonade stand. I can never walk into a post office without thinking of you and being transported back in time to our daily trips into town to get the mail. It was such a special daily ritual and I can remember to this day the exact smell of that post office and how excited I was to make those trips with you.

It is no wonder you could make friends with anyone old or young. You had an amazing ability to meet people where they were at. As I hit those tough teenage years, you would let me vent about how unfair my parents were, and how frustrating my sister was being. Never judging me, just listening and supporting. You even learned how to use a scary computer to write and send emails so that we could keep in touch while I was away at college.

And it didn't stop there. After moving a thousand miles away you still made me a priority. I could go to my mailbox and you would have clipped an article you thought I might like. Once you even sent me "date money" when life was hectic to make sure that I would get out and relax. You are one of the most thoughtful people i have ever known, and no matter what stage of life i was in i knew i could count on you to be there to love, support and encourage me. And that will make it all the more difficult to not be able to pick up the phone and hear you tell me the family updates or why you won't drive because old people get blamed for accidents.

The memories that i will carry with me are always of a calm woman who never had to raise her voice to be heard. I am proud to say that I cannot think of any time that you yelled at me or anyone else. Now that's not to say that you didn't get your point across, but it was always in such a loving manner.

I could go on and on about how much you mean to me, and it is comforting to know that I can carry you with me always in those memories we shared.

Forever in my heart,
Kendra



Family photo from May 2011







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...